Thursday, May 27, 2010

Introduced to Grass-Fed Beef and Organic Milk

I didn't think about organic food until the day I was conceived with Baby Hsu and my doctor suggested the idea of eating grass-fed beef and drinking organic milk.  I haven't started with grass-fed beef yet, but I did make the switch to Horizon organic milk.

Milk that is labeled "USDA Organic" must fulfill the following four requirements:
1.  Cows that have not been treated with bovine growth hormone (BGH)
2.  Cows that are not treated with antibiotics
3.  The cows' feed is grown without pesticides
4.  Cows must have access to pasture

Traditionally, all beef was grass-fed beef, but the U.S. today concentrates on feeding the cattle with grain.  It is unnatural and dangerous for cows, in turn dangerous for us, when switching a cow from grass to grain.  When cattle are grain-fed, they are also continually fed antibiotics and their intestinal tracts are far more acidic, which favors the growth of E. coli bacteria.
Benefits of grass-fed beef
- Less than 10% saturated fat
- Natural source of omega 3 fats High in CLA (Conjugated Linoleic Acid)
- Full of beta carotene
- Loaded with over 400% more of vitamins A and E
- Less risk of Mad Cow Disease

Based on my research, the extra omega 3 from the grass-fed beef will provide nutritional benefits for your child when consumed while pregnant or breastfeeding.  I will definitely check out the grass-fed beef the next time I go to the supermarket.      

0 comments: